Bigcommerce Community Forum

Current time: 05-23-2015, 12:38 PM Hello There, Guest! (Login)

how to edit/add a panel?
hello,

i am trying to figure out how to add panels to my store. on the left side bar the three default panels that came with it were categories, brands and newsletter. I would like to add another categories section of course with different categories. is there an easy way to do that? i would also like to add links for social media in the side bar, anyone know how to do that?

are these set up kind of like widgets where i can choose to add them in there or do i have to code any additional ones i want?

thanks in advance
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(06-27-2011 11:34 AM)Mark Hoffman Wrote:  hello,

i am trying to figure out how to add panels to my store. on the left side bar the three default panels that came with it were categories, brands and newsletter. I would like to add another categories section of course with different categories. is there an easy way to do that? i would also like to add links for social media in the side bar, anyone know how to do that?

are these set up kind of like widgets where i can choose to add them in there or do i have to code any additional ones i want?

thanks in advance

Here is a guide that can help you add your own custom panels:
https://support.bigcommerce.com/questions/1105/

Also a guide that can explain how our template system works:
https://support.bigcommerce.com/questions/920/

And for the extra categories panel, you would have to custom code that, and link to the other categories you want it to list. We do not have a second categories panel in the software.
Find all posts by this user
Hi

So its possible to REMOVE a panel in design mode, but you cannot ADD a panel in DESIGN mode, unless you edit the css, am i correct?
++RICKY U
(07-13-2011 08:54 PM)Ricky Uttam Wrote:  Hi

So its possible to REMOVE a panel in design mode, but you cannot ADD a panel in DESIGN mode, unless you edit the css, am i correct?

You can add and remove panels as you like.

You cannot create completely new custom panels from the design mode editor, you would need to upload them into your panels directory via FTP.

CSS is completely unrelated to whether you can create, add or remove panels, it defines styles for your entire site.
How do you change the width? My text is overflowing outside of the box!
Can you provide more information? The width of which panel do you want to change? (include a link to the problem page too please)
(07-13-2011 09:25 PM)Flair Consultancy Limited Wrote:  

Sorry, but i can't find a way to add panels in design mode? when i click on a area, it shows remove panel, but their is no option to add a panel. Is that done in the html editor only?
++RICKY U
(09-01-2011 04:09 AM)Ricky Uttam Wrote:  
(07-13-2011 09:25 PM)Flair Consultancy Limited Wrote:  

Sorry, but i can't find a way to add panels in design mode? when i click on a area, it shows remove panel, but their is no option to add a panel. Is that done in the html editor only?

There is no way to add panels in design mode. You have to add them on the html template files. Just add %%Panel.The_Panel_you_want%%

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Solved]  Add line on top of HomeFeatureProducts panel Wilfrid Paulino 2 89 04-03-2015 01:34 AM
Last Post: Wilfrid Paulino
  [Solved]  Add "New/Featured Products" panel to custom pages? Christopher Kessler 5 253 02-20-2015 10:35 AM
Last Post: Stephanie Rowe
  [Solved]  How to add an image to a panel Abe Khadem 3 142 11-14-2014 04:12 PM
Last Post: Ronald Dobbins